AEmilia Lanyer

 When reading AEmilia Lanyer’s biography, I felt a sense of pride. As a woman during this time, she seemed for a lack of better words, “bad ass”. During her time women were seen as the submissive sex, but while reading this, it seemed as though she took all of those stereotypes and turned them upside down. Not only was she considered to be the first woman to “produce a substantial volume of poetry to be printed and to attract patronage” but her poetry was also considered to show “evidence of a practiced skill”. I found this so impressive because from our past readings, most women were discouraged to write or hid their works. I love that her poetry showed a sense of feminism and strength. In addition to her writing, her life seemed so interesting as well. Reading about her relationship with Lord Hudson I questioned the forty-five year age difference, however she enjoyed her time with him and looked back on it with “great fondness”. Even when married to her husband, Alphonso Lanyer, she was said to be “flirtatious” with another man- pushing all stereotypes of the “ideal wife” during these times. I didn't enjoy reading that some viewed her to be a “loose woman” and I actually disagree with that statement. Instead of looking down on her, I think we should celebrate that she didn’t confide how she should have acted, and instead, made herself happy. As I mentioned before, I really enjoyed reading her biography and feel as though we should look to her poetry and writing as inspiration. AEmilia Lanyer set the precedent for women then, and continues to be an icon today.

Comments

Popular Posts